Monday, August 24, 2009

Ninoy...

I maybe one among millions of educated Filipinos who have shared their thoughts on this remarkable individual, and why not? Such a great person's legacy should be carried on by people like us, who knew what he had done, and why he did such a great sacrifice for the sake of this wounded country, scarred by selfish politicians ,who I believe, personally knows how revive this nation, its just that kind of "3rd World Greed Mentality" that continues infest the minds of these self gratifying individuals, hindering them to take that quantum leap out of that sick cycle that has been going on even before the time of Jose Rizal.

A lot among the educated Filipino public asks: "why do we have to go through situations where a great individual enters martyrdom for the sake of being a "prime change agent"?" Jose Rizal had to be shot for the Filipinos to spark a revolution among the Spanish, and Ninoy had to follow the same act of "suicidal pride" for the Filipinos to overthrow a dictatorship; The question is: "Are we that emotional of a nation? Always waiting for "momentous" and "dramatic" events to make a change? Its just to me, looking back at all the historical events that happened, so cinematic.

Not that these Ala "events that shook the world" situations does not happen around other parts of the planet, I just find it somehow "stupid" that the Filipinos, the masses, never learn. Its what we call sometimes "Tigas ng ulo" or "Hard headed", like the current politicians, they know that their actions (looting and conniving) will enact similar events wherein the people will revolt in total disagreement. But still... you just need to see the daily news to know for yourself.

Trust level is really below the red for ALL the politicians in this country, unlike that great motivation to the sacrifice that Ninoy did where he knew for certain that his life will be in danger stepping back into this country on August 21, 1983, the general public actually had notion that something will or might happen upon his arrival. As smart a man he is, Ninoy drew media attention as a security blanket to ensure that if anything happens to him, it will be well documented, and well documented it did.

I believe if I was watching television back in 1983 (I think I should be 2 years old at the time), witnessing live as Ninoy descended from the airplane, and was shot, imagine the emotional outrage I must have felt being a passionate supporter for freedom, I would have too gone out to the streets and tried to make a point, in which during that time, really meant something.

I am writing this in commemoration of the Ninoy Aquino day last August 21, and the passing of our ex-President, Madam Corazon Aquino last August 1. In truth, what really initiated me to write this is after watching the last few parts of a ABS-CBN documentary entitled: "The Last Journey of Ninoy" (I hope I'm correct), it was really moving, and in each moving situation, we humans by nature will want to express it in any way we can, I'm just doing part of my share of being human.

In summary, I still want to believe that there is still hope for our country, Ninoy was one who made me feel that, even from reels of 20 or so odd years still brings that fresh taste of nationalistic motivation, wanting to tell yourself and to the whole world that "I'm damn proud to be a Filipino".

No comments: